What if you can manage your health and wellness everywhere you go?
while a lot of us have bought into the “work hard and play hard” philosophy in our life we have cut down our work selves off from our real-life selves. But when we spend thousands of hours in our lifetime at work, why aren’t we bringing good, healthy living practices in our work life, too?
So this year, try to put aside the whole ‘work hard and play hard’ philosophy and start to look work and home differently and make the time you spend everywhere an opportunity to connect and engage with your health
So here are ten things you can do at home and at work to start improving your overall health and wellness
1. Say no to added sugar
- Did you know some yogurt and energy bars actually contain more added sugar than cake, ice cream, or sweetened cereals
- Benefits Of Reducing Sugar: Reducing the added sugars can help you lose weight, make you feel more focused, improves your metabolism, decrease the risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease, and many more benefits are there.
- Ideas to reduce sugar: At work and at home, say no to sugary drinks! Look at products labels and limit the intake of foods that are high in added sugars
2. Create a healthy sleep routine
- Lack of sleep has been linked to obesity, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes and most experts agree quality sleep is as important to health as good nutrition and exercise.
- Benefits of sleep: Getting enough sleep can improve your sex life, lower the risk of injuries and accidents, and boost your mood.
- Ideas for good sleep: Get off from screens before bed, Try to go to sleep at the same time every day, Exercise during the day and at least three hours before bedtime.
- Did you know even a few minutes of meditation is better than doing nothing and it can be as simple as focusing on breathing or silently repeating a mantra
- Benefits of meditation: A Good Mindful meditation can lower anxiety and stress, improving mental health and our well being.
- The idea for meditation: At work or home, to stop your works and take deep breaths It can relax your mind and body to a great extent.
4. Practice food mindfulness
- Mindful eating is simply slowing down, paying attention to what you’re eating, and expressing gratitude for it.
- Benefits of mindful eating: Eating mindfully can help you become aware of your current eating habits and to take control of your eating habits potentially it can help you lose weight.
- Ideas for mindful eating: Chew your food really well, At work, don’t stay at the desk for a long time, Eliminate distractions while you take your food distractions means screens and phones.
5. Move more
- Exercise regularly to improve your physical and mental health.
- Benefits: Move more to lose weight, strengthen your muscles and bones, increase your energy levels, reduce your risk of chronic disease, and more.
- Ideas: Set your phone to remind you to get up from your desk every 30 minutes for a 2-3 minute walk or stretch; Challenge your office colleagues or family to a daily step (or other activity) challenge.
6. Schedule your preventative health screenings
- Using preventative services can improve your health and most are covered, in part or completely, by most insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid.
- Benefits Of Health Screenings: You can lower your risks for many kinds of cancer with screening tests, vaccines, and healthy choices.
- The idea for preventative health screening: Check with your healthcare provider for the types of screenings that you and your family should be doing.
7. Be a non-smoker
- Smoking cigarettes can harm nearly every organ of the body and is a leading cause of preventable death but there are a lot of strategies and medications that can help you quit smoking.
- Benefits of being a nonsmoker: Quitting cigarettes lowers your risk of smoking-related diseases and can increase your lifetime.
- Ideas to be a nonsmoker: Talk to your healthcare provider about smoking prevention programs, If you’ve quit smoking, or quit before, don’t give up.
8. Show gratitude
- It’s a simple and easy practice to express thanks.
- Benefits: People who practice gratitude consistently report a host of benefits including stronger immune systems, lower blood pressure, feeling more alert.
- Ideas: Make it a daily practice to thank a colleague for being awesome, or doing great things; At home, be sure to take time to appreciate the small things that make life good.
- It’s healthy to invest in your valued relationships whether community, friendships, or family.
- Benefits: Feeling supported through life’s ups and downs is important for mental health and well-being.
- Ideas: Take time each day for friends and family if you need to actually put it into your busy schedule, consider these connections as important as any business meeting you have; Shut off the screens and make time for games or just chatting.
10. Wash your hands often
- Handwashing helps to reduce germs entering our bodies through our hands.
- Benefits Of Handwashing: Handwashing can prevent about 30% of diarrhea-related sicknesses and about 20% of respiratory infections it’s one of the best ways to protect you, your family, and your colleagues from getting or spreading sickness.
- Ideas: Scrub well your wet, soapy hands together for at least 20 seconds before you wash them, If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.