Railway Lamb Curry is delicious dish prepared from lambs meat and bone, it was first prepared by cooks working in railways in the early 1900s, so the name is given as railway lamb curry it is a delicious dish so let’s see how to prepare it and ingredients needed to cook it
- Eight pieces of crushed garlic gloves
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 800gm of lamb cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 10 – 12 curry leaves
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 450ml lamb stock
- A medium-sized potato cut into pieces
- 250ml coconut milk
- 2tbsp turmeric paste
For Spice Mix:
- 1 tbsp coriander seed
- 2tbsp fennel seed
- 1tbsp cumin seed
- 6 – 7 red chillies with stalks removed
1. Mix the garlic, ginger, turmeric and lamb together in a large bowl, then leave the lamb to marinate in the fridge for 1 hr or preferably overnight.
2. Fry the spice mix ingredients in a dry frying pan for 12 mins over low heat, stirring occasionally till they release their aroma. Allow it to cool, then grind it to a fine powder using a spice grinder or pestle and mortar. Keep it aside.
3. Heat the oil in medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the curry leaves and onions, and fry for 15-17 mins, stirring well. As the onions begin to change colour, add the lamb and fry for 10 mins. Add the spice powder and turn the heat up slightly. Stir continuously for 5 mins. Pour in the stock and season to taste. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer. Put the lid on and cook for 40 mins. Stir halfway through cooking.
4. Put in the potato and continue cooking for 15 mins. Add the coconut milk along with the tamarind paste and keep it in simmer for 10 mins with the lid off to reduce. Serve warm with rice or roti.
Try this dish with roti or rice and enjoy the deliciousness of the recipe